Monday, March 16, 2009

And so it begins...SXSW day 1

And so the beast that is South by Southwest has begun for me. I went to the Austin Convention Center today to gather all of my documents to make sure I am ready for the music portion of the conference that starts on Wednesday. The convention center was PACKED with hipsters, techies, media gurus, musicians, and fans all trying to get their schedules set and their twitters updated. Everywhere I looked people were sitting on the ground with their macs out posting on their blog or checking their facebook. It was hilarious. People were walking around interviewing people, taking pictures of people, writing about people, drawing about people, talking to people. I could not imagine a bigger conglomeration of personalities and profiles anywhere else in the world. Once I got my badge, I went to the rewards section of the convention center to get what I thought was my catalog of musicians and times, but was in reality the mix of stuff in the above picture. Three bags of stuff, one for each aspect of the conference (Interactive, Music, and Film) which included 15 magazines, condoms, party invitations, gum, sunglasses, huggies, a camera bag, and innumerable advertisements and free mp3 cards. Things are picking up in Austin as the interactive portion of the convention is coming to a close and the hype of music is building. More to come...

SXSW tip-Ups: The movie "I Love You, Man" with Paul Rudd and Rashida Jones was apparently a big hit. It premiered last night.

4 comments:

Hunter said...

Did you by any chance get to premiere Sascha Baron Cohen's new movie based on his character Bruno?

Just heard a few clips were being shown at SXSW.

SHL said...

I wasn't able to see it, but it is here. I will listen for some scoop.

jgblackb said...

hunter. you ARE bruno.

Hunter said...

Vas zo wrong vif being fabalus, Jodin?