Saturday, May 22, 2010

BIG K.R.I.T.

Meridian, Mississippi M.C. Big K.R.I.T. found his way into the annals of indie music when Pitchfork posted his song "Country Shit" as one of the best new songs out there right now.  The amazing opening line of the article "Country Shit: An entire aesthetic conveyed in two words" drew me in pretty quickly and I found myself blazing through rap blogs reading about this 22 year old 'phenom'.  He samples hard and his mixtape "K.R.I.T. wuz Here," which is free for the taking right here, even has a reward ("$1000 cash and a pan of Johnny Shipes famous brownies") for the first person who can name all the samples used in the tape.
K.R.I.T.'s sound is obviously southern and to me has a lot of the rings and rhymes of early three-six mafia with a more current mix-mash of beats.  His sampling habit isn't really a southern rap staple so he has blended some the more traditional with some of the newer vibes coming out of hip-hop today.  Aesthetics aside, the mixtape is just straight fun.  The first song "Return of 4eva" got my head nodding almost immediately and the whole 19 song tape took off from there.  Below is track four off the mixtape (slight language warning).

Once again, you can pick up the whole mixtape "K.R.I.T. wuz Here" -->   HERE



Thanks to @dentmay for the heads up and P4K for the info.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Man this sound better be the future of gangsta rap, this is a huge upgrade for the genre. I hate that old sh*t, but this sh*t is tha sh*t!