Thursday, October 8, 2009

The List

Rosanne Cash, daughter of legend Johnny Cash, released a pretty intriguing album this past Tuesday that I want share with everyone. The album entitled The List is a collection of 12 songs that she took off a list called "100 Essential Country Songs" that her father gave her when she was young. Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Jeff Tweedy, and Rufus Wainwright all accompany Cash on the album. The story aired on NPR today and you can check the full article out here, but here is a quote from Cash to peak your interest:

"When I was 18 years old, I went on the road with my dad after I graduated from high school. And we were riding on the tour bus one day, kind of rolling through the South, and he mentioned a song," Cash says. "We started talking about songs, and he mentioned one, and I said I don't know that one. And he mentioned another. I said, 'I don't know that one either, Dad,' and he became very alarmed that I didn't know what he considered my own musical genealogy. So he spent the rest of the afternoon making a list for me, and at the end of the day, he said, 'This is your education.' And across the top of the page, he wrote '100 Essential Country Songs.'"

The album is available for full stream here. A little country twang for the grit music pages. Enjoy

No comments: