Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Perfect For This Time of Year

Just about this time every year, on the cusp of October and running pretty much through the entire month, I find myself turning back to this record. It's happened to me without fail for the past 3 or 4 years, and I can't tell if it's subconscious or not.

Built to Spill's Keep It Like A Secret came out in '99, and I'm a little frustrated I didn't come across it till around 2005. Stupid. I guess back in 1999 I was still listening to 99 Jamz here in Jackson, MS, which was great by the way. Also, of note are some of the Grammy nominees from 1999: Brandy & Monica, Celine Dion, Goo Goo Dolls, Shania Twain, Backstreet Boys, Eagle-Eye-Cherry, and Shawn Mullins, to name a few. How many more times can I say "99"? I digress. Anyhow, it's a great album for opening the windows to your home, car, or office (if allowed), and play the whole way through. Some of you readers will probably say, "Oh, but his voice, I don't like his voice", to which I'll say, "just shut up and give it a few spins with the breeze." For your listening pleasure "The Plan" and "Carry the Zero" have been added to the playlist. Buy the whole thing if it feels good. Let us know what you think. What's your favorite album for fall?

On October 6th they will be releasing a new album entitled There Is No Enemy.

4 comments:

Hunter said...

Nick Drake's "Bryter Layter"

sure, it's an easy choice.

stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzFN-ngn7WQ&feature=PlayList&p=CB3DA7BED2C7CE83&index=17&playnext=8&playnext_from=PL

Unknown said...

REM's "New Adventures In Hi-Fi"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syCxUN6Lx0Q

SHL said...

Stream the new Built to Spill album in its entirety at their myspace. I always return to Red House Painters "Songs for a Blue Guitar."

cpcraig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.